Famous Cows of the World
Meet a handful of the world's most famous cows, from roadside attractions to famous faces of TV and print.
- Elsie the Borden Cow: The unofficial mascot of the Borden Company, now primarily used to promote the Borden dairy products from the Dairy Farmers of America.
- Clarabelle: Created by Disney Studios in 1928; she is Horace Horsecollar’s girlfriend and one of Minnie Mouse’s best friends.
- Ada the Ayrshire: Cartoon cow in early Farm Journals.
- Elm Farm Ollie: In 1930, the first cow to fly in an airplane.
- Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow: She was said to have kicked over a lantern on the evening of October 8, 1871, thus starting the Great Chicago Fire, an act for which she has since been exonerated.
- The Laughing Cow: Advertising mascot of Laughing Cow cheese.
- Lani Moo: Since 1921, advertising mascot cow of Hawaii Gold Meadow Dairy.
- Little Witch: World’s fastest race cow; she won the 2004 World Wide Cow Racing Association’s Udder Race running a mile in 9:18:12.
- Norman: Calf, then adult steer, who appeared with Billy Crystal in the movies City Slickers and City Slickers 2.
- Pauline: President Taft’s cow, the last cow to live at the White House.
- Minnie Moo: A famous Holstein cow at Disney World whose claim to fame was having spots shaped like Mickey Mouse on her side.
- Chatty Belle: World’s largest talking cow In Neillsville, Wis.
- Penny the Cow: Locally known as the educational cow at the Pa. Farm Show.
- Turkey Hill Cow: The famous traveling mascot of Turkey Hill!