Health(ier) Egg Nog
Yield: Makes: 8 servings
Try this healthier twist on a classic holiday cocktail - eggnog!
- 2 cups Skim Plus milk
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt
- Combine milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Slowly bring mixture to a low boil. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until yolks are pale in color.
- Slowly add hot milk mixture to egg yolks in batches to temper (a cooking technique in which the temperature of a cold/room-temperature ingredient is slowly raised by adding small amounts of hot/boiling liquid) the eggs and whisk until combined.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat until slightly thick (and coats the back of a spoon) but does not boil. Using a candy thermometer, mixture should reach 160 degrees.
- Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.
- Refrigerate until chilled. Serve with a dash of nutmeg