Chicken Verde Enchiladas
LaChell Miller, MS, RD, CC Follow her @DairyDietitian
Yield: Makes 12-14 enchiladas
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon salt free southwest seasoning
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 8-10 tomatillos, outer leaves removed and washed
- 2 serrano peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 5-10 cilantro leaves, chopped
- 6” White Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups Mexican Crema (Sour Cream)
- 1 cup quesadilla shredded Cheese (Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese)
To Make Shredded Chicken: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season chicken with southwest seasoning. Place in a shallow- oven safe dish and pour chicken broth over. Cover with foil and roast for 45 – 60 minutes until chicken is fork tender. Shred with two forks and set aside.
Short Cut: Shred pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and set aside
To Make Salsa Verde: Turn oven to broil. In a shallow roasting pan, combine olive oil, tomatillos, serrano pepper, and garlic. Place under broil for about 10 minutes, turning once to evenly roast tomatillos on all side. Remove from oven and place in food processor with onion and cilantro leaves. Pulse until desired consistently.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. In a shallow baking dish, pour 1/3 salsa Verde in the base of the dish
3. Microwave tortillas for about 30 seconds, until bendable. Place shredded chicken down the middle of tortilla and fold both sides over. Place tortilla, seam side down in pan. Pour remaining salsa Verde on top of the tortillas.
4. Spoon cream evenly on top of Verde. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake in oven for 30 – 40 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Enjoy!
5. Optional toppings include cilantro, red onion, radish, and cotija cheese.
Note: Don’t be afraid of the spice from Serrano peppers. Your salsa Verde should have a kick as the cream and cheese really tone down the heat in this classic enchilada recipe.