Nutella Swirled Banana Cream Cheese Muffins
Jennifer Switzer | Beyond the Butter
Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Cream Cheese Filling
4 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
1 Large Egg
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
3 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
1/4 cup Sour Cream
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
2 Large Eggs, room temperature and slightly beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
3 Large Bananas, very ripe and mashed
2/3 cup Nutella, warmed in microwave
1. Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line a standard cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
2. For the Cream Cheese Filling - Using a handheld or stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and creamy for 3-4 minutes. This will help keep your cream cheese from leaving lumps in the mixture.
3. Add in the egg, sugar, vanilla extract, and flour, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Set aside.
4. For the Cupcakes - Using a medium-size bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
5. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sour cream together on medium-high speed until combined. Add in the sugar, slightly beaten eggs, and vanilla extract until completely blended.
6. Switch the mixer speed to low and add in the dry ingredients.
7. Stir in the mashed bananas and mix until just combined. Batter will be thick and lumpy (from the bananas).
8. Using a spoon or a 1 1/2 tbsp cookie scoop, place a small spoonful of the banana muffin batter into the cupcake liners, followed by a small spoonful of the cream cheese mixture. Then top with another spoonful of the banana muffin batter. If you’d like, you can add one more small spoonful of the cream cheese mixture.
9. Using a heat proof bowl, warm the Nutella in the microwave until it’s easy to spoon on to the muffins.
10. Spoon the warm Nutella onto the top of the banana muffin batter, then take a toothpick or butter knife and swirl around to give it a marbled effect.
11. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 375ºF or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
12. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes in cupcake tin. Then transfer the muffins to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.