Chicken Verde Enchiladas
LaChell Miller, MS, RD, CC
Yield: Serves 12-14
Preparation time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 tomatillos, outer leaves removed
2 serrano peppers
2 garlic cloves
1 small white onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
4 pre-cooked chicken breasts, shredded
12 (6-inch) white corn tortillas
2 cups sour cream
1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1. Turn oven to broil. In a shallow roasting pan, combine olive oil, tomatillos, serrano pepper, and garlic. Place under broil for about 10 minutes, turning once to evenly roast tomatillos on all side.
2. In a food processor, combine roasted vegetables, onion, and cilantro leaves. Pulse until smooth consistency to make salsa Verde.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a shallow baking dish, pour 1/3 salsa Verde in the bottom of the dish
4. Microwave tortillas for about 30 seconds, until bendable. Place shredded chicken down the middle of tortilla and fold both sides over. Place stuffed tortillas seam side down in pan. Pour remaining salsa Verde on top of the tortillas.
5. Spoon cream evenly on top of Verde. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake in oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.
6. Optional toppings include cilantro, red onion, radish, and cotija cheese.Note: Don’t be afraid of the spice from Serrano peppers. Your salsa Verde should have a kick as the cream and cheese really tone down the heat in this classic enchilada recipe.