Brubaker Cheddar Chowder
Recipe provided by dairy farmer, Rebecca Brubaker, of Lancaster, Pa.
This recipe is a hearty supper after a long day working. Pair it with fresh, warm bread and butter, and you’ll have a crowd pleaser!
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed potatoes (approx. 2 medium potatoes)
- 1/2 c coined or chopped carrots (approx. 2 carrots)
- 1/2 c chopped celery (approx. 1-2 stalks)
- 1/4 c chopped onion (approx. 1 small onion)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups warmed milk
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped ham
Place the potatoes, carrots, celery and onion in the water. Bring to boil and simmer until vegetables are firm.
In a separate pan, melt butter. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Add warmed milk and stir constantly until thickened. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add ham and stir. Pour white sauce into simmering vegetable mixture. Enjoy with warm bread and butter.