School Nutrition Programs
Dairy in school success stories
Almost all schools offer a breakfast program, yet traditionally these programs are vastly underutilized.
One of the most effective ways to significantly boost school breakfast participation is to make it part of the school day. We're proud to support and help implement the following programs that improve student access to nutritious school meals.
Just Say Cheese
It’s also one of the most popular food items on school menus — whether served alone, in an entrée or as a topping. Cheese helps kids eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains, and it is an excellent source of vitamins and calcium.
BOOST MEAL PARTICIPATION
Helping students get more of the delicious, nutrient-packed cheese they love is easy with these suggestions!
KICK START BREAKFAST
• Replace the second whole-grain-rich item with cheese as meat/meat alternative
• Offer individually wrapped cheese stick varieties, e.g. cheddar, mozzarella and more
LIVEN UP LUNCH
• Serve Brunch for Lunch with ever-popular Cheese, Egg & Ham on a bun
• Try Gourmet Grilled Cheese using 2 or more different cheese varieties
• Offer a variety of cheesy pizzas with vegetable toppings
• Make cheese available as a topping for salads and pasta
• Include wraps with cheese on the cycle menu: “Cajun Turkey Wrap” is a student favorite
OFFER SMARTER SNACKS
• Turn cubed cheese and fruit chunks into fun kabobs
• Serve savory cheese dip with vegetables and whole grain crackers
Click here to download a cheese recipe booklet for your school!
Implement a successful Yogurt Smoothie and Parfait program in your school district. Smoothies and parfaits have it all, making them popular with students. You can easily mix up your offerings with an assortment of yogurt, fruits and vegetables. You’ll always find each one loaded with these key nutrients: calcium, protein and vitamins.
JUST FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE BEST PRACTICES:
• Hang up appealing yogurt banners and posters to notify and attract students
• Advertise on your menus, website and morning announcements
• Highlight the new yogurt menu items in the school newsletter
• Attractively showcase yogurt parfaits and smoothies in a designated area, or set up yogurt bars
• Offer weekly incentives
Apple Pie Overnight Oats
Breakfast Vending allows students to access breakfast foods though vending machines. This model is most often implemented in high schools and vending machines are usually only available prior to the start of the school day.The American Dairy Association North East proudly supports programs aimed to improve the health of children in schools with dairy and nutrition education.
Contact American Dairy Association North East at firstname.lastname@example.org for more ideas on how to launch a successful nutrition program.