Dairy will remain a key focus during the 2021 Virtual Pennsylvania Farm Show January 9-16, with several events and activities coordinated by ADA North East, including a butter sculpture highlight video; a video of dairy farm youth preparing animals for a show; and, the Undeniably Dairy Shakeoff Milkshake Contest.
Dairy hightlights include:
A butter sculpture highlight video that will include a narrative from Pennsylvania dairy farmer and Dairy Management Inc. chair Marilyn Hershey of Cochranville, Pa., as well as a look back at past sculptures and the work of annual butter sculptors Jim Victor and Marie Pelton of Conshohocken, Pa., on the ADA North East Facebook page on Wednesday, Jan. 13, at 10:30 a.m.
A butter sculpting tutorial video featuring sculptors Jim Victor and Marie Pelton as part of the “Butter Up” Contest, hosted by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture.
How Dairy Cattle Exhibitors Prepare for the Pennsylvania Farm Show Video
Three dairy farm families who exhibit annually at the Farm Show explain how they prepare cattle for the show. The video will air on the ADA North East Facebook page on Tuesday, Jan. 12, at 1:30 p.m. Featured are:
- Emily Merkel, Jaydon Reist and Bralynn Weist of Heilinger Brown Swiss Farm, Lebanon, Pa.
- Taylor and Peyton Heeter of JoMill Farm, Shade Gap, Pa.
- Blaire Gable of Snider Homestead Farm, New Enterprise, Pa.
- Undeniably Dairy Shake-Off Milkshake Contest featuring six media teams from Altoona, Harrisburg, Wilkes-Barre and Philadelphia will compete for the “People’s Choice” award. Pennsylvania Dairy Princess Gabrielle Swavely will also participate in the contest.
- Wednesday, Jan. 13, at 1:30 p.m. – Viewers can watch the teams present and describe their original milkshake creations stream live on ADA North East’s Facebook Page
- Saturday, Jan. 16, at 8 a.m. – Online voting closes
- Saturday, Jan. 16, at 1:30 p.m. – People’s Choice winner will be announced on ADA North East Facebook page and on Pennsylvania Farm Show platforms
- “Let’s Make Dinner” segment featuring the recipe Classic Cheesecake with Sweet Potato and Pecan Caramel Topping
- Wednesday, Jan. 13, at 4:30 p.m., ADA North East is sponsoring the recipe preparation by Chef Van French of The Hotel Hershey, Hershey, Pa. This can be viewed at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Facebook page or on the Pennsylvania Cable Network. The recipe is also included in the PA Preferred Culinary Connection Recipe Book, sponsored by ADA North East.
About American Dairy Association North East
American Dairy Association North East (ADA North East) is the dairy farmer-funded organization funded by participating dairy farmer’s checkoff investment to build demand and sales for milk and dairy foods throughout the local region. Representing more than 10,000 dairy farm families in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and northern Virginia, ADA North East develops and implements local programs to drive milk and dairy sales at retail outlets and in schools. The organization also conducts consumer education about dairy through events, traditional and social media, and in collaboration with health professionals through National Dairy Council®. ADA North East works closely with Dairy Management Inc.™, the national dairy checkoff organization, to support nutrition research, national partnerships and developing export markets for dairy to bring a fully integrated promotion program to the region. For more information, visit www.AmericanDairy.com or call our Main Office at 315-472-9143.