Dairy product retail sales across all categories closed on a positive note at year-end with purchases at a higher rate in 2020 than 2019, as reported by Dairy Management Inc. from IRi Monitoring.
* Milk volume rose at retail by 2% in 2020 compared to 2019
* Cheese volume rose at retail by 13% in 2020 compared to 2019
* Yogurt volume rose at retail by 4% in 2020 compared to 2019
Full Sales Summary
- Milk volume rose at retail by 2% in 2020 compared to 2019, reversing previous years of decline. December volume was up 1%.
- Both conventional milk (gallon-size) and value-added products (lactose-free and organic) saw growth.
- Households with kids and higher per capita households contributed to above average growth.
- Cheese volume rose at retail by 13% in 2020 compared to 2019; December volume was up over 7.5%.
- Cheese varieties and forms associated with meal preparation saw strongest growth.
- Similar to milk, households with kids and higher per capita households contributed to above average growth.
- Yogurt volume rose at retail by 4% in 2020 compared to 2019, overturning the previous year’s downturn. December posted a stronger lift at 6%.
- Larger size tub packaging, low-fat varieties and Greek yogurt made the strongest contributions to 2020 growth.
- Households with kids contributed to above average growth.
OTHER DAIRY PRODUCTS
- Growth was observed across all “Other Dairy” products
- Among “Other Dairy” products, butter, a strong ingredient in baking/cooking, and dairy cream delivered strong sales increases.
- Higher per capita households were a contributing factor to above average growth across all “Other Dairy” products.
About American Dairy Association North East
American Dairy Association North East (ADA North East) is the dairy farmer-funded organization funded by participating dairy farmer’s checkoff investment to build demand and sales for milk and dairy foods throughout the local region. Representing more than 10,000 dairy farm families in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and northern Virginia, ADA North East develops and implements local programs to drive milk and dairy sales at retail outlets and in schools. The organization also conducts consumer education about dairy through events, traditional and social media, and in collaboration with health professionals through National Dairy Council®. ADA North East works closely with Dairy Management Inc.™, the national dairy checkoff organization, to support nutrition research, national partnerships and developing export markets for dairy to bring a fully integrated promotion program to the region. For more information, visit www.AmericanDairy.com or call our Main Office at 315-472-9143.