Dairy farmers sharing their farm story online is a great way to interact with consumers who have never met a dairy family or visited a dairy farm. Concerned about negative comments from anti-dairy activists? ADA North East offers five quick tips to build your confidence and social media presence.
- Implement the “banned words” list – posts that include these words will not show up on your page.
- Set your profanity filter to “high.”
- If you don’t have an on-farm business (such as a farm stand) turn off the reviews on the page. Activists use this function to leave one-star reviews and say disparaging things about your farm, so if there’s not a business reason to keep it up, don’t.
- Remember: Actual questions deserve answers, but website “trolls” don’t. Feel free to block and ban commenters who are only trying to cause arguments.
- Ask for help! Reach out to Beth Meyer for assistance in implementing any of these changes, or for personalized advice to avoid detractors.
Also, check out American DairyEngaged – our new dairy farming focused community that provides timely, relevant and vetted content for social media.
About American Dairy Association North East
American Dairy Association North East (ADA North East) is the dairy farmer-funded organization funded by participating dairy farmer’s checkoff investment to build demand and sales for milk and dairy foods throughout the local region. Representing more than 10,000 dairy farm families in Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and northern Virginia, ADA North East develops and implements local programs to drive milk and dairy sales at retail outlets and in schools. The organization also conducts consumer education about dairy through events, traditional and social media, and in collaboration with health professionals through National Dairy Council®. ADA North East works closely with Dairy Management Inc.™, the national dairy checkoff organization, to support nutrition research, national partnerships and developing export markets for dairy to bring a fully integrated promotion program to the region. For more information, visit www.AmericanDairy.com or call our Main Office at 315-472-9143.