Public Relations Specialist
The Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC) Department is responsible for the overall image management, communications and marketing activities on behalf of American Dairy Association North East (ADANE). As a member of the IMC team, the Specialist will position them self as the organization’s staff reporter, partnering with organizational work groups to translate their work into captivating visuals and compelling written content. The Specialist will also manage media relations activities for the southern portion of the ADANE region including Philadelphia, PA; Baltimore, MD; Wilmington/Newark, DE; Washington, DC; and Northern Virginia, and work with PR Specialists in other parts of the territory as needed. The PR Specialist will also serve as a spokesperson. Under the direction of the Vice President of Consumer Communications, the ideal candidate is a highly motivated, collaborative, results-oriented, creative individual with experience and a passion for telling brand stories. That passion will be demonstrated as he/she leads the development of dynamic and engaging public relations campaigns and supports programmatic events.
- Develop and manage consumer-facing PR programs to advance key association initiatives, such as marketing campaigns, program launches and working collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with media, increasing awareness of and generating interest in ADANE’s strategic programs. Develop relationships with key influencers, such as internal subject matter experts and dairy industry experts who can help tell our story.
- Serve as a spokesperson and point-person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization. Facilitate presenters and run-of-show for events and press conferences. Serve as organization’s event emcee when necessary.
- Efficiently and (speedily!) handle media calls by obtaining all pertinent information and making recommendations for company inclusion/response.
- Utilize strong writing and editing skills to craft key messages in the association’s voice but with consumer appeal. Documents include: briefing documents, press releases, pitches, blogs media alerts, talking points, background information, fact sheets, LTEs, and general communications on related activities and events.
- Ability to proofread written communications from other work groups including trade press articles, email blasts, cover letters, and LTEs.
- Organize, develop and implement individual program public relations and marketing programs and activities, including agenda development, scheduling activities, speakers, photographers, media relations, material ordering, set up and break down.
- Utilize news-nerdiness and sleuthing skills to keep the IMC team updated on retail, business and industry trends, breaking news, competitor activity and other interesting findings.
- Stay up-to-date with knowledge of current events and cultural calendars to increase program relevance and make recommendations for inclusion in social conversations and media stories.
- Help track and report team's PR activities and media coverage results and recap materials for inclusion in news monitoring reports for executives. Write recaps and debriefing documents for key initiatives and provide recommendations for future endeavors.
- Essential to the job function is the commitment to travel the entire ADANE region. Travel can include multi-state, overnight, evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or related area of study.
- 4+ years of Public Relations experience, with a focus on media relations; Agency and/or corporate public relations experience preferred, specifically working with consumer brands, is a plus.
- Strong organizational interpersonal skills; keen ability to prioritize and skillfully handle multiple assignments and high-volume detail work.
- Solid knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- A strong working knowledge of social media and digital platforms, plus traditional public relations tools such as Cision, PR Newswire, etc.
- Valid Driver’s License with a good driving record.
- Frequent day travel during the regular scheduled work hours.
- Local, regional, and multi-state traveling is occasionally required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to process computer data and to format and generate spreadsheets and reports.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to crate, compose, and edit written materials.
- Experience with consumer media required.
- Knowledge of public relations, communication principles, media, and marketing techniques.
- Some knowledge of publishing procedures and requirements, including desktop publishing.
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate media activities and promotional events.
- Skill in organizing and establishing priorities.
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Excellent attention to detail.
Position will be based out of the Philadelphia office of American Dairy Association North East.
Benefits include Medical, Dental, Life, LTD insurances and 401(k) Retirement Plan.
To Apply: Please email your resume with cover letter to: JobPRS@milk4u.org