Dairy will remain a key focus during the 2021 Virtual Pennsylvania Farm Show January 9-16, with several events and activities coordinated by ADA North East, including a butter sculpture highlight video; a video of dairy farm youth preparing animals for a show; and, the Undeniably Dairy Shakeoff Milkshake Contest.
Dairy hightlights include:
- A butter sculpture highlight video that will include a narrative from Pennsylvania dairy farmer and Dairy Management Inc. chair Marilyn Hershey of Cochranville, Pa., as well as a look back at past sculptures and the work of annual butter sculptors Jim Victor and Marie Pelton of Conshohocken, Pa., on the ADA North East Facebook page on Wednesday, Jan. 13, at 10:30 a.m.
- A butter sculpting tutorial video featuring sculptors Jim Victor and Marie Pelton as part of the “Butter Upâ€_x009d_ Contest, hosted by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture.
How Dairy Cattle Exhibitors Prepare for the Pennsylvania Farm Show Video
Three dairy farm families who exhibit annually at the Farm Show explain how they prepare cattle for the show. The video will air on the ADA North East Facebook page on Tuesday, Jan. 12, at 1:30 p.m. Featured are:
- Emily Merkel, Jaydon Reist and Bralynn Weist of Heilinger Brown Swiss Farm, Lebanon, Pa.
- Taylor and Peyton Heeter of JoMill Farm, Shade Gap, Pa.
- Blaire Gable of Snider Homestead Farm, New Enterprise, Pa.
- Undeniably Dairy Shake-Off Milkshake Contest featuring six media teams from Altoona, Harrisburg, Wilkes-Barre and Philadelphia will compete for the “People’s Choiceâ€_x009d_ award. Pennsylvania Dairy Princess Gabrielle Swavely will also participate in the contest.
- Wednesday, Jan. 13, at 1:30 p.m. — Viewers can watch the teams present and describe their original milkshake creations stream live on ADA North East’s Facebook Page
- Saturday, Jan. 16, at 8 a.m. — Online voting closes
- Saturday, Jan. 16, at 1:30 p.m. — People’s Choice winner will be announced on ADA North East Facebook page and on Pennsylvania Farm Show platforms
- “Let’s Make Dinnerâ€_x009d_ segment featuring the recipe Classic Cheesecake with Sweet Potato and Pecan Caramel Topping
- Wednesday, Jan. 13, at 4:30 p.m., ADA North East is sponsoring the recipe preparation by Chef Van French of The Hotel Hershey, Hershey, Pa. This can be viewed at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Facebook page or on the Pennsylvania Cable Network. The recipe is also included in the PA Preferred Culinary Connection Recipe Book, sponsored by ADA North East.