(Syracuse, N.Y.) March 31, 2021
Audrey Donahoe of Clayville, N.Y., a sixth-generation dairy farmer and mother of six, has been elected as the new Board President of American Dairy Association North East (ADANE). Donahoe, who farms with her husband Jeff, has served as an ADANE board member for 20 years and is currently chair of the National Dairy Council®.
Here are 10 Interesting Facts About Audrey Donahoe:
- She is the first female elected to serve as Board President of American Dairy Association North East.
- She was elected at a virtual ADANE board meeting on National Ag Day (March 23, 2021) during Women’s History Month.
- The name of her Clayville, N.Y., farm, Atrass, was created by using the first initial of her six children’s names.
- She was featured on the popular TV show “Wife Swap” in 2004 when she switched roles with a Tennessee southern belle.
- She met fellow reality star Jason Smith, winner of the Food Network’s Holiday Baking Challenge, during a 2020 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Conference virtual dinner where both cooked the meal.
- Her top priority as Board President is sharing the environmental successes achieved by dairy farmers.
- She sees her biggest challenge and opportunity as connecting with the Gen Z audience.
- Her favorite thing about dairy farming is making sure her cows are comfortable—from providing sand beds to ensuring top quality air ventilation in the barn.
- Her favorite dairy moment was unveiling the 2017 Butter Sculpture at the New York State Fair.
- Her favorite way to enjoy milk—a thick, frosty milkshake.
According to Donahoe, connecting consumers, who are typically far removed from agriculture, with dairy farming is an important part of dairy promotion. “We must make consumers aware of the amazing things we do on the farm to recycle, reuse and reduce our carbon footprint,” says Donahoe. She went on to explain that producing a gallon of milk uses 90 percent less land and 65 percent less water than it did years ago. “These are facts most people don’t know.”